The Literati of the Toledo Lucas County Public Library presents Slam in the Stacks! Are you familiar with story slams? Are you a good storyteller? Well, then this event is just for you!
We will start the evening at 6:30 p.m. with light refreshments and registrations for storytelling. At 7:00 p.m., we’ll start the storytelling with ten people having the opportunity to share a five-minute story related to this topic, with the two best storytellers winning prizes. This is only the beginning! Be on the lookout for more events like this one in 2020.
Tickets will go on sale on October 14, 2019 and the cost is $15. All proceeds from Literati events go towards the Ready to Read program and will help to provide resources to area families, as each kit of these resources is approximately $50. The ticket cost is donated directly to the Library Legacy Foundation, who manages the purchasing of these kits.
Storyteller Selection for Slam in the Stacks:
1. As you arrive, you will be asked to register as a story-teller.
2. Once at least 10 people have registered as story-tellers we will begin. If more than 10 people have registered, we will continue with step 3, provided below.
3. Ten names will be drawn from a hat.
4. At future events, there will be a hat for veterans (those who have told a story on stage), and a hat for rookies (those who have not). Rookies will be given priority. If you have not told a story, and your name has not been drawn at three consecutive events, you will receive half off the admission price to the next event.
Storytelling Rules for Slam in the Stacks:
1. The story must be personal, and related to the theme.
2. No notes or props!
3. Five-minute time limit - if you go more than thirty seconds over time, you will lose a point from your score.
1. Five judges will be chosen from the audience.
2. Judges will score based on presentation (how well the story is told), relation to theme, and construction of the story (how well the story is written).
3. The top and bottom score will be discarded, and the other three added together for a total score.
4. The highest scoring storyteller will be invited back for a “championship” event at the end of the slam season.
5. In addition to a judges’ winner, the audience will select an “audience choice” winner. The audience choice winner will also be invited to the championship event.